This summertime pasta recipe was adapted from a Barefoot Contessa cookbook. I’m pretty sure that I have every cookbook that Ina Garten has ever written and they are some of my very favorites. I love her recipes because I can always count on them to be fairly simple and with fresh ingredients.
This summertime pasta recipe starts with a “base” that is my “go-to” for most of my pasta dishes throughout the summer months. I toss the base with some warm pasta and throw in whatever fresh vegetables I have at the time. Tonight, I roasted some broccoli and threw it in… delicious. Grilled squash and red onion is incredible. I did that several times last summer and can’t wait to do it again.
You can change it up as much as you like but I always stick with her basic template of olive oil, garlic, basil and tomato. I have to admit that there’s something about the way this looks sitting in a glass bowl on the kitchen counter when I get home that makes me happy. And it gives the room a subtle smell that lingers and hits your nose the minute you walk in the house.
When you’re ready for dinner nothing could be simpler, its great all by itself with a little parmesan cheese on top. Or grab some fresh veggies and give it some crunch!
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh basil sliced julienne style (about a cup)
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 cups broccoli chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 lb. pasta (linguine, angel hair, vermicelli)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Before I leave for work in the morning I put the first 4 ingredients in a glass bowl, mix well and cover with plastic wrap. Leave it on the counter at room temperature to take in all the flavors.
- At the end of day put the broccoli on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and roast in a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes or until lightly brown. Set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, prepare the pasta and drain.
- In a large glass bowl mix the hot pasta and the tomato basil sauce. Toss well then add the broccoli, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese and gently mix.
- Serve with extra parmesan cheese on top.