Amazing Nutty Broccoli Salad
This amazing nutty broccoli salad was passed along to me by a coworker, he said his wife had made it and it was absolutely delicious. He knew I was a cook of sorts and he said this was a very nice, refreshing salad with just the right amount of “crunch”.
After giving it a try I had to agree, it’s absolutely delicious and I love the dressing… it’s fantastic with the broccoli and walnuts! He and his wife really watch their fat and calories so they often substitute the dressing for Newman’s Own Light Honey Mustard, I haven’t tried that but it’s certainly an option to keep in mind.
I always see these broccoli salads in the ready-to-go counter at the grocery store and they look wonderful and so tempting but are never satisfying in the end. The broccoli is soft, the dressing is heavy and usually tastes over processed. This was the answer to my quest for the perfect broccoli salad. I can throw it together in minutes and it’s even better after a few days in the refrigerator.
- 1 lb. broccoli florets
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
- 1/2 lb. chopped almonds, cashews or walnuts (I used walnuts)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/8 tsp. cracked pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. coarse ground mustard
- Combine broccoli, onion, mushrooms and eggs, olives (if using) in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine mayo, mustard and seasonings.
- Toss the dressing with the salad and then gently add the nuts.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight before serving.